The UK is one of the best study destinations in the world. Getting your education from the United Kingdom allows you to get a world-class qualification in your study area while enjoying the friendliest countries to students in the world.
If you want to study in the UK, you must obtain a student visa. UK Visas and immigration handle all the UK student visa requirements. There are different types of student visas, and all have different requirements. Read on to learn about the different types and their requirements.
Types of UK Student Visa
There are three types of UK student visas which include:
- Short-term study via
- Tier 4 student visa (Child)
- Tier 4 student visa (General)
Short-Term Study Visa
The short-term study visa is ideal for students above 18 years’ old who want to study for a short course in the UK. It is valid for six months but can be extended for 11 months if you are studying any English Language course.
Students are advised to apply for a short-term visa at least three months before the course begins. In addition, students are allowed to travel to the United Kingdom 3 months before the course starts. Your student visa will reach three weeks after submitting your application.
Requirements for a short-term student visa
- Applies to international students pursuing a short-term course in the United Kingdom.
- You must be from a non-EEA area.
The short-term study visa allows you to enroll in a short United Kingdom course. It can be either an English language course or a training course. It also allows students to do research as part of their degree program.
On the other hand, the short-term study visa prohibits students from performing any of the following activities:
- The students are not allowed access to public funds.
- They cannot study in a state-funded school
- They cannot work or carry out any form of business while in the UK
- They cannot extend their visa
- They cannot bring their family members to the UK
Tier 4 Student Visa (Child)
The Tier 4 (Child) Visa applies to children between 4 and 17 years who want to study in an independent school in the United Kingdom. You can decide to apply for a Tier 4 General visa if your child is above 16 years old, and if the parent decides to accompany the child, they should apply for a Parent of Tier 4 (Child) visa.
Ensure that you apply for all these visas at least three months before your child is expected to start school. It is also important to note that most school will provide their decision within three weeks.
Requirements for a Tier 4 (Child) Visa
- You must first have a place of admission to the United Kingdom
- You must provide parental consent and show that you have enough funds to support your life in the UK.
A tier 4 (Child) Visa allows you to do the following in the UK:
- Study in an independent school
- Proceed with their school application even when outside the United Kingdom
- Extend their stay in the UK
- Obtain work placement as part of their program
Tier 4 (General) Student Visa
This student visa is ideal for students who want to study for longer courses. Before applying, you should ensure that the institution holds a Tier 4 Sponsor License. Once you obtain the visa, you can move your family members to the United Kingdom for as long as you are still enrolled on the course you choose to study.
Requirements for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa
- You should have a place offered for the course
- You must speak, write, read and understand English
- You must be from a country that is not in the EEA or Switzerland
- You must have enough money to support yourself through the course
The Tier 4 (General) student visa allows you to extend your stay in the United Kingdom and work in most jobs, depending on your course level. However, you will not have access to public funds or work in specific jobs such as sports coaches or sportspeople. You are also not allowed to study at local authority-funded schools.
The UK student visa application process can be pretty complex if you start from scratch without help. Across the Globe is made up of a team of professionals who will guide you through the entire process, making it efficient and hassle-free.